Thursday, January 28, 2010

Sambar Salsa : Happy To help

This part of the blog begins where the first post ends....

Well I was on my way back home from the Vodafone store where I saw a girl ....... wait a sec. did I just say 'Home' ? Ohh ... I miss my 'home-sweet-home' in Kolkata-the city of joy, the laid-back city of mine, the phuchka(gol gappe)walas, the intellectuals, the football matches, Sourav Ganguly, Arka Ganguly aka Hatu [my friend] uffff....what not, so many things I miss about my city. They say once you are out of Bengal, you become more Bengali, once you are out of India you become more Indian, lolz now I understand what they meant. These days my ears are too sensative towards any spoken bengali words around me, may be inside the office elevator, may be at the bus-stop, may be at a restaurant. It's not that I engage myself in conversations with all Bengalies in Chennai, but it really feels good when you understand some of the random words which are spoken suddenly out of the blue. "I'm going home" by Chris Daughtry is the song which my portable media player showed as one of the frequently played song lately. So you can understand How much I miss everything about my city KOLKATA.

Anyway....where were we ? yeah....I was coming back from the Vodafone store, where I saw a girl ... who was like....awesome n all....wow....i still remember her face ... damn!! she was hell of a girl.....she was smelling like.....OHHHH SHIIITTTT!! again I am diverting from the topic of this lazy afternoon....

I was saying that...I was coming back home from the Vodafone store in Adayar. I asked a few guys about the shortest route to reach my 'Home' in Peringudi. Some guy gave me a bus # to catch and also pointed towards the bus-stop where 'he thought' the bus would stop. I waited there for almost 20 minutes and trust me in Chennai, that's a loooooong wait. Bus frequency is really amazing and you get different buses to go anywhere within a reasonable time. The way they have managed the communication is simply amazing. Hey Kolkata are you listening ? 'Learn from Chennai' yeah....you heard me right....I said learn this thing from Chennai. Not only this , loads of stuffs are there, adopting which would enrich our city.

So I was kindda getting irritated and after a day's work I was really tired and only thing which was kindda kept me going is the girl whom I met..... ( I promise this time I'm not gonna lose the track of my post)....so I was tired and lost my patience(it was my turn to lose patience hehehe!!!)and asked a gentleman who stopped just to attend a call as he was riding a bike. Unfortunately he was not fluent with english or hindi, so could not help me with the direction but I understood that he understood my question. He was about to start his bike but suddenly he asked me to ride with him. I was like "what? are you sure...I mean...are you serious?" What he communicated was that, "I will either drop you at Peringudi or atleast take you to a place where you can get a bus to reach your place".

Trust me I was in two minds what to do. I never experienced a similar situation before. I mean a stranger offering me help without any reason!! Moreover I am not a smoking hot chick with good numbers or something, I am a guy with a goatee and a weird hair cut, for christ's sake....

It took me a moment to realize, that it was nothing but a 'right intent to help' someone. That's all. I was the mean guy who was in two minds to accept his assistance. 30 minutes back at the Vodafone store I kindda utilized and snatched my share of assistance from the customer service rep and half an hour later I was in dilemma whether to accept a favor or not. That assistance at Vodafone store is something may be we all earn once we subscribe for any freaking service, but this kind of helps are something comes to you and surprises you and make you realize that 'what a mean person you are'. I ask myself why have we become like this ? For free we dont even accept favors. That's sad...isnt it? We gotta do loads of reality-checks in order to find out where we stand.

Anyway, I rode his bike, he dropped me to a place where I could get a bus. Before leaving he shook my hand asked my name, introduced him as 'Shekhar' and also said something in Tamil, which meant 'Happy to help', i guess. While walking the distance from the bus-stop to my place I thought about playing a tribute song on my mobile phone "om shanti , shanti..." a nice tamil song, which one of my coleague transfered via bluetooth, earlier that day. Yes I promise I will learn to play this song with my guitar some day and that would be a tribute all the 'Good-samaritans of Chennai'

4 comments:

  1. Nice one man..!!! and i can't wait to hear that Om shanti shanti song from you :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. hey sabin thanks a lot for your comments. where r u 4m? may be i could use audience while playing the song

    ReplyDelete
  3. dude why didnt you ask the girl for directions? maybe u would be singing a different tune then! :P

    ReplyDelete