Monday, February 1, 2010

Sambar Salsa:Charade-parade

Someone asked me about my agenda for the day, I proudly replied "benchwarming and blogging". Actually that has been the routine for 15 of us for the last 4 weeks. We come late, we yawn, we read articles on wikipedia, we search for jokes online, we forward emails and silly excell games and all. But one thing we are very desciplined about is that we take breaks on time. Sometimes we play charades as well. Ya the classic game of breaking the silence of boredom, 'dumb-charades' :-)

They say as I am an animated character I can enact well and as I am a movie-freak, I believe that makes me someone like, male version of Maria Sarapova(isnt she's pretty??) of charades :D

Last time when we played the game, I was given the movie name 'Serendipity'. It sounded like a tough call for a moment. I was plannig how to explain. As usual. all dirty things came to my mind first. So kindda thought of breaking the word like 'SAY-RENDI-PEE-TEA'.

I decided that I'll explain 'SAY' by my lip and hand movements so that they can understand it's a 'talk' word . A funny (and unacceptable action at work place) for the word 'RENDI' which means prostitute/whore in hindi. 'Pee' part would be taken care of by an action as people pee on road in India and 'Tea' would be shown by the 'sipping action'.

Suddenly the guy who gave me the movie name, he though about helping me and said, "I'll give you a clue, break the word like 'SAY-REND-PEE-TEA' ", which was pretty close to what I imagined earlier but the easy part was 'Rend', which means 'two' in Tamil.

So what I had to do is , while explaining 'Rend' I grouped Indrajit, Manojit and Myself (Bongs) and Rajasekharan, Karthick and Ramya(Tamil folks from our group) so I could explain 'Two' in Tamil and the rest were easy and trust me people understood what I wanted to mean. I was relieved 'cuz explaining 'Rendi' at work would have been a hell of a task for me :p

....and since I am a good charade player, I am still managing my stay in Chennai where I am communicating with the localites inspite of knowing 10 words (at tops!!) in Tamil and hope to continue the same. My coleague Karthick is helping me with the number system, I have learnt till 5. Now I can say 'Unh'(one), 'Rend' (you already know what that means), Munh(three), Naal(four), Anjh(Five) . See.... I am already sounding like a guy who could solve mathematical problems in tamil (blushing!!)

But just imagine what would happen to me if I want to nogotiate with a local autowala about auto fare with my knowledge of 'Tamil number system'

Well I have decided.........I will explain 30 as 'Anjh-anjh-anjh-anjh-anjh-anjh' i.e 6 times I'll say Five ;-)....isnt that awesome ? Provided, I am never going to airport by one single auto where the fare would be like 200-250 and I have to negotiate, as autowalas charge more when they are booked for Airports and trust me they have good habit making a wrong assumption that people coming or going to airport are either foreigners or filthy rich.

No comments:

Post a Comment